The Pact ( Download ICGLR Pact Amended 2012 ) on Security, Stability and Development in the Great Lakes Region serves as a legal framework and an agenda of the ICGLR with the aim of creating the conditions for security, stability and development between the member states.
It was adopted by the Heads of state and government of the ICGLR member states in Nairobi in December 2006 and entered into force in June 2008.
The Pact includes 10 Protocols and 4 programmes of action with 33 priority projects.
The Protocols, which are legally binding, are the following:
- Protocol on Non-aggression and Mutual Defense in the Great Lakes Region
- Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance
- Protocol on Judicial Cooperation
- Protocol for the Prevention and the Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity and all forms of Discrimination
- Protocol Against the Illegal Exploitation of Natural Resources
- Protocol on the Specific Reconstruction and Development Zone
- Protocol on the Prevention and Suppression of Sexual Violence Against Women and Children
- Protocol on the Protection and Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons
- Protocol on the Property Rights of Returning Persons
- Protocol on the Management of Information and Communication